Re: apt-get vs. deselect

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 11:19:50PM -0500, Chuck Payne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to update a couple packages, I don't want to update
> everything and when I do like
>
> apt-get upgrade calmd
>
> I get a list of some 400 other pacakges that will be ugprade and I don't
> want that.
> [...]

Hi Chuck,

I guess, the command you want to use is:

# apt-get install calmd

since 'apt-get upgrade' ignores any package names provided, because it
is intended to do an upgrade of all installed packages with new
versions available (see: man apt-get).

I am not entirely sure if 'apt-get install' won't also try to pull in
the other packages anyway, since I haven't been using apt-get for a
while. But as Kevin already wrote, there is a reason why those
packages shall be upgraded.

Regards
--
Marcus Blumhagen

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more
violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move
in the opposite direction."
                                                      -- Albert Einstein