Re: Woody on 486 problem

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 02/16/07 14:45, Mike McCarty wrote:

DSL and Slackware aren't that large, are they?  Especially with a
2.4 kernel.

[QUOTE MODE ON]

Slackware Linux doesn't require an extremely powerful system to run (though having one is quite nice :). It will run on systems as far back as the 486. Below is a list of minimum system requirements needed to install and run Slackware.

    * 486 processor
    * 16MB RAM (32MB suggested)
* 100-500 megabytes of hard disk space for a minimal and around 3.5GB for full install
    * 3.5" floppy drive

Additional hardware may be needed if you want to run the X Window System at a usable speed or if you want network capabilities.

[QUOTE MODE OFF]

Adding a few hundred megabytes of disc is not appealing to me,
especially since it can't be done. The smallest disc these
days is around 100 Gig. I wonder why it won't run on a 386?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.