Re: Woody on 486 problem

Ron Johnson wrote:

Eh? With MSDOS? No gooey stuff in there!

Well, there was GEM, plus TUIs like DesqView.

I wasn't claiming that no GUIs existed, just that I don't
use any. I used DesqView briefly, just for fun. But never
on that machine.

But you can't be using it just for MS-DOS; what's the point of
having 16MB RAM if all yo do is run non-extended DOS?

I have 16MB of RAM because that's the minimum configuration
for that machine when I bought it. And, actually, I have
used some of the extended RAM on occasion, with a disassembler
(Sourcer) I used to run. I haven't run that in a long time,
though.

[snip]

You sure that isn't 360KB? The 5 1/4 floppies used in those days
were multiples of 90KB. SSSD was 90KB, SSDD was 180KB, and
DSDD was 360KB.

Nope.  That was the IBM PC format.

Ok.

The same DSDD minifloppy formatted on a KayPro would hold 380KB.

You should remember that all the CPM machines had their own special
formats.

I dunno about "special". They were just CP/M format. I never bothered
with learning how to use the USERx stuff on those discs. I always
just used USER0 area.

I created a multi-tasking RTOS running 16 apps at the same
time for a security monitoring system on that machine. The
processor was an Intel 8085.

How did you keep them from stepping on each other?  You wrote the
apps in asm?

The whole shebang was assembler. I used MAC, and then RMAC when
things got too big to make a single assembly file reasonable.
I used CP/M for development, but when it was all running, of
course, it was just itself. The apps didn't step on each other,
because they didn't access memory which didn't belong to them.

How did you prevent it?  Good programming?

Yep. Really to do that properly requires hardware assist,
like an MMU. The 8085 had no such hardware assist, unless
one designed some special external stuff. I used a stock
S100 board.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.