Help! Corrupted filesystem

Greetings:

I'm running an IBM R40 laptop with three systems: Debian Sarge (which I use primarily), Knopix 3.4 hd install, and WinXP. This morning I booted to Knoppix to look at some bookmarks on that system. I forgot to unplug the PCMCIA card modem, so it stopped there at boot. I unplugged it and completed the boot, doing an fsck because it hadn't been done in a while.

Then when I attempted later to reboot to Debian, I got the following message:

fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
/ contains a file system with errors, checked forced.
/:
Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.

/: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY: RUN fsck MANUALLY.
                 (i.e., without -a or -p options)

fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot. Please note that root file system is currently mounted read-only. To remount it to read-write:
               # mount -n -o remount ,rw /

A previous list post back in 2003 seemed to indicate the most likely cause of the above is a hard drive failure. Opinions?

I rebooted to Knoppix to try to back up the data, but K3b won't burn a CD, indicating that it seems to be a buffer underrun. I turned off burnfree and manually selected 2x but still no success. I have a Knoppix 4.0.2 CD so I could try burning on the fly, but then I'd be really likely to have an underrun. Any ideas how to save this data?

Should I fsck from a Knopix CD or do it from my Knoppix hd install or do it from the Debian command line? Does it matter at all?

Am I correct in assuming that I need to mount the partition in read-write mode in order for fsck to fix the problems?

Any advice is welcome.

Elmer E. Dow