Re: Woody on 486 problem

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 02/15/07 22:20, Mike McCarty wrote:

[snip]

But you can't be using it just for MS-DOS; what's the point of
having 16MB RAM if all yo do is run non-extended DOS?

I have 16MB of RAM because that's the minimum configuration
for that machine when I bought it. And, actually, I have
used some of the extended RAM on occasion, with a disassembler
(Sourcer) I used to run. I haven't run that in a long time,
though.

Why not install Linux and dosemu?

On a machine with 16MB? It fills a need I have as is.
Why run a giant bloated OS just to run MSDOS, when I
can run MSDOS as-is? Or do you mean on another computer?
I use Fedora on this machine, and I do have DOSEMU and
FREEDOS installed on it.

[snip]

The same DSDD minifloppy formatted on a KayPro would hold 380KB.

You should remember that all the CPM machines had their own special
formats.

I dunno about "special". They were just CP/M format. I never bothered
with learning how to use the USERx stuff on those discs. I always
just used USER0 area.

Not true.  Each had it's own format.  A few companies did a good
business selling programs to format and copy (soft sector) 5.25"
floppies on and for all the myriad of CP/M machines around in the
early 80s.

Hmm. I have vague memories that Cromemco had its own format,
and that Kaypro had one. So, I guess you're right. I didn't
need to transfer large amounts of data, and always just used
a serial link. And, the computer I was transferring between
was a super-mini. I was using it for backup to 9 track tape.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.