Re: Woody on 486 problem

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 02/16/07 14:45, Mike McCarty wrote:

Why not install Linux and dosemu?

On a machine with 16MB? It fills a need I have as is.

It would let you run multiple DOS sessions.

I repeat: It fills a need I have as is. I'd need to
put more disc on it, for one thing.

OS/2 is also a *definite* option.

Ditto above.

Why run a giant bloated OS just to run MSDOS, when I

DSL and Slackware aren't that large, are they?  Especially with a
2.4 kernel.

DSL barely runs on that machine, and I do mean barely. I haven't
tried Slackware.

can run MSDOS as-is? Or do you mean on another computer?
I use Fedora on this machine, and I do have DOSEMU and
FREEDOS installed on it.

Fedora?

Be gone, spawn of the Evil One!!!!

:->

I am not a Linux lover at all, at all. I installed Fedora because
I got a contract, and my "employer" wanted me to run it. My girlfriend
wanted to leave Windows, because NT (which she ran and liked) was
no longer supported, and XP did things to her partitions she didn't
like, so she took it back. I suggested Linux, and downloaded and
burnt several LiveCDs for her to try. She liked Kanotix best, so
I suggested Debian. Since I do most of the admin work on her machine,
I subscribe here.

So, as I said, I'm not a Linux lover, anyway, let alone a Debian
lover. I suspect that the OS which would best fit my wants would
be Solaris, though I certainly don't love that, either. I've used
Solaris for many years professionally, but ever since I came into
real contact with *NIX like OS back in 1984 or so, I have not been
enamored. I believe that, of the Linux distros, Scientific Linux
would be closest, followed by White Box and then Debian coming in third.

I know that many like Slackware.

I've got a machine I bought for experimentation. I put FC4 on
it, and didn't like it (I run FC2). Maybe I'll put Solaris on
that machine and see how I like it.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.