Re: Stupid Noob Question: Surfing the 'Testing' edge

Chris Lale wrote:
> Chris Lale wrote:
>> Nigel Henry wrote:
>>> On Wednesday 14 February 2007 17:36, Michael S. Peek wrote:
>>>   [...]
>>> Personally, if you have sufficient harddrive space, I'd keep your
>>> current Etch install pointing to Etch in /etc/apt/sources.list. then
>>> I would install another instance of Etch. I'd keep this pointing to
>>> Etch, then when Etch goes stable I'd point /etc/apt/sources.list for
>>> your new Etch install to the testing repo. this way you have one
>>> install which you know works ok, and the new Etch, now testing/Lenny
>>> install.
>>>
>>> [...]
>> [...]
> I'm putting this back on the list:
>
> Joe Hart wrote:
>> Chris Lale wrote:
>>
>>> And, if you keep /home on a separate partition, your two installs can
>>> both use the same /home. Normally work in testing but, if it is broken
>>> for a while, use stable until it is fixed.
>>>

>> That usually works, but not always.  Sometimes different versions of the
>> same program use different configurations settings.  You can cripple one
>>  system by using another.  If all the programs are the same version, of
>> course this doesn't happen, but then what's the point of having the two
>> systems?  If the programs are well written, they will not touch items
>> that they don't know about, but not all programmers think of that.
>>

> I know there is a theoretical possibility of problems, but its probably
> only local configuration files that might be modified - the hidden files
> in the user's home. The only problem I ever had was with Gnome. That was
> easily fixed by deleting (renaming) the .gnome/.gnome2 directories. They
> were just recreated automatically when Gnome next ran. I'm not even sure
> whether sharing the /home partition caused this problem.

Sorry, wrong button again.  I'm still not used to the "Reply to List".

I've experienced the same problem with KDE.  Using 3.4.x and 3.5.x
caused problems.  Like you, renaming the .kde directory and restarting X
solved it, because like gnome, KDE will regenerate the directory, and
not only that, you get the wizard again!

Which brings up the fact that I still cannot get used to single clicking
something activates it.  It makes little sense to me to have shortcut
keys such as the delete key or F2 to rename files if you can't select it
easily first.

I have a feeling this is likely to start a debate.  Be that as it may, I
set my KDE to select on one click and activate on two.  However, if I
run konqueror as root, then I get the single click activation again.  Oh
well.  I have to press a key when I click so I can select it, which may
be the whole idea, pressing F2 then clicking on a file might allow me to
rename it, but either way it is a click and a keystroke.

Joe