Re: Ubuntu vs. Debian (was Re: Introduction)

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 11:08:13PM -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Oh come on. At the company we just left, we generated 2-3 proposals a month, each at 25 pages or so, using Word. There are lots of reasons to dislike Word, but get real, it's usable

That depends on how you define usable.  Word might handle a 25 page
document.  The experience of many of my friends has been that big
documents (25 pages is not big) are a real pain Word.  One friend of
mine did his thesis (350-400 pages) in Word.  Once he got past 100 or
150 pages, he was constantly fighting with it.  The TOC would get messed
up, it would screw up formatting and sectioning and lots of other
issues.
<snip>
Now that I am doing work at a place where Word is the only option for
word processing, I realize just how much I hate working with it.  Even
things that should be trivial are ridiculously complicated.  It asks me
things that it should not need to ask me.  It doesn't ask me things that
it should.  If I copy or cut for the second time in a document, it
completely changes the layout of the screen!  The dynamic menus are a
royal pain since I *always* have to click on the stupid little icon at
the bottom of each menu to get to see all the options.
As I said - there are plenty of reasons to hate word. Personally, I hate some of the auto-corrections it makes.

Miles