Re: Software part of installation process

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 03:16:17PM +0100, Joe Hart wrote:
> Charles Blair wrote:
> >    I am trying to install debian on a machine that does not have
> > network access.
> >
> >    I booted from the first disk of a 15-CD set and was told it could
> > not find my hard disk.  I downloaded (using a different machine)
> > a "netinst" version of etch, and was able to do a hard disk partition
> > and basic install.  However, I did not see a way to continue to use
> > this to complete the process, especially the automatic installation
> > and configuration of X11.
>
> The Net Install expects an Internet connection, hence the name.  Now
> that the drive is formatted, you should be able to use the CD set that
> you have, or, order a full set. A better idea would be to get the
> machine, albeit temporarily, onto the net and try the net-install again.
>
> Network cards are cheap, and it sounds like you already have a
> connection to the net.

sounds to me like he might have a sarge set of disks on an sata
machine? Formatted disks won't matter if the installer still can't see
the drive...

Charles, please give us more details.  What version did you try (and
fail) to install? What kind of hardware do you have?