Re: Writer Processor

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 12:15:14AM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 21:44:08 +0100
> Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> wrote:
>
> > Honestly, Kword is good enough.  The biggest problem that I have is that
> > I am in the Netherlands and write in English.  I can't find a publisher
> > here that wants to print books in English and my Dutch isn't good enough
> > to translate.
> >
> > I thought I could use the net and find a publisher in the U.S. but
> > that's not how it works.  Most publishers wont touch writers who don't
> > have an agent and agents wont touch writers that haven't published.
> >

> I'm sorry, I'm afraid I can't help there. It's probably possible to publish at
> least something online. There must be some way for publishers to find new
> authors.

(1) some agents will charge a fee to consider your stuff.  Avoid
them like the plague; they are probably in the business of
charging fees rather than getting you published.

(2) Try short stories.  A meager market, so I've heard, but there
are magazines whose editors do exemine everything submitted.

(3) On-line self-publishing (this includes publish-on-demand) still
carries a stigma and convinces editors of more conventional publications
that you were not good enough.  But there are paying on-line markets
nowadays, and some of them are respected.

(4) Have a look at Writer's Market, available as a printed book as well
as an on-line database, www.writersmarket.com.  There's also a book,
Novel & Short Story Writer's Market.  Both of them are published by
Writer's Digest Books.  They list a large number of publishers, also
mentioning which require an agent, what kind of stuff they publish, and
so forth.

-- hendrik