Re: Ubuntu vs. Debian (was Re: Introduction)

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:08:14 -0500
cga2000 <cga2000@optonline.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 12:17:41PM EST, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 06:41:55PM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
> > > Actually I am a bigger fan of lyx, but that's a hard sell for office fans.
> >
> > I'm just starting down the LaTex and Lyx road (from Lout since I want
> > html output option).  Is there anything that you _can't_ do with Lyx
> > that you can do with LaTex?
>
> Don't take my word for it but the short answer is no since as far as I
> can remember for stuff that it doesn't do out of the box, LyX lets you
> imbed LaTeX native statements in your document.
>
> But to answer your second question (should I choose LyX over LaTeX)
> unless you absolutely want something that feels a bit like Microsoft
> Word I would not bother with LyX.  I did have some familiarity with
> markup languages but it only took me a few hours to figure out how to
> put together a basic native LaTeX document.  It took me much longer to
> customize LyX to my liking.

I find it's main power come in three places:

Mathematics (you see almost anything on screen making it much easier to get the
equations right, especially when they are long an complicated).

Tables (not as much as an issue as with mathematics).

Images, much less than the previous two.

I found that setting up shortcuts, esspecially for mathematics is very easy and
straight forward, of course once you figure out where to put them. On the other
hand I still haven't managed to get vim and emacs to behave as I like

> As always, YMMV.
>
> A few good (?) reasons to choose LaTeX:
>
> With native LaTex you will be using your editor of choice .. you won't
> have to teach your fingers new habits.  Worth a thought if you plan on
> using LaTeX extensively.
>
> Overhead and portability.  Recent versions of LyX use the KDE/QT gui.
> With native LaTeX all you need is an editor and LaTex.

There is a lyx version for linux windows and I believe mac osx IIRC, the
windows version even takes care of installing latex properly.

As for the overhand, I find the lyx doesn't take more memory than vim or emacs,
probably more than the lighter ones (it uses qt, not the full blown kde, so it
doesn't pull along the whole daemon party. There is also a xforms version btw)

Just for the record:

USER       PID   %CPU %MEM   VSZ     RSS   TTY   STAT START   TIME COMMAND
micha      7344  0.2     3.5        26388  9044  ?        S      21:16     0:23  lyx-qt

> If you are a vim user & insist on working in something gui you may want
> to take a peek at this:
>
> http://vim-latex.sourceforge.net

Or if you are an emacs user there is auctex, I prefer that to vim (and
vim-latex)

> Lastly, another thing to consider before you decide:  Despite the name
> texthax@tug.org is mostly a LaTeX support list and it is both very
> friendly to (serious) novices and very responsive.
>
> I'm not sure LyX has the equivalent.

lyx-users@lists.lyx.org
very helpful for both lyx and latex

> HTH
>
> Thanks,
>
> cga

There are occations for each and there are some edge cases where lyx can cause
some latex errors which can be a pain to understand, but pure latex can cause
more.

If you only need simple text with sections or like programing or fine twiking I
would go with pure latex. If you like some "what you see is almost what you
get", some math or making something more complicated without much more work
than the simple stuff I would go with lyx (it can also smooth the learning
curve a bit).