Re: Using graphical environment

Kelly D Kennedy wrote:
Kent you are the greatest.  Worked like a charm.  All updates are over
the net now.

I have another question I thought I would bounce off you if you do not
mind.  The server I am running this test environment on is an HP
Proliant DL140.  Dual Xeon 2.8 4 gig memory.  We have 7 of these in
total.  This is a test machine.  We currently use Solaris 9 and have
grown ever more frustrated with it.  What we did was swapped the
(old)boot drive to a slave position and put in a new hard drive for
this testing.  My question is can I access the old data on the old
drive with this system?  It would be much easier to copy directly.

(You might get more informed answers from the list rather than from me, thus I'm routing this back to the list. Having said that ...)

You can almost certainly do what you're wanting to do.

You don't mention if your drives are IDE, SCSI, SATA, or what, so the first thing to do is to see how your drive is being addressed. If you'll run the "mount" command (or do one of three or four other methods), you'll see where your current system is mounted; it'll look something like this:

/dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/hda5 on /usr type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda6 on /var type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda7 on /tmp type ext3 (rw,noexec)
/dev/hda8 on /home type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda9 on /usr/local type ext3 (rw)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)

According to this output, my IDE hard drive is being addressed as "/dev/hda" (with the partition numbers appended for each mounted partition).

A SCSI drive is more likely to be addressed as "/dev/sda". (I'm unfamiliar with SATA drives or other more esoteric configurations, so I'm not sure how they're addressed.)

Your slave drive will be addressed similarly. On a typical IDE system, there are a maximum of four drives available, listed as hda, hdb, hdc, and hdd. hda and hdb are master and slave on the primary IDE port, whereas hdc and hdd are master and slave on the secondary IDE port.

So all you need to do is mount the proper drive.

You can create a "mount point" (a directory name where the mounted slave drive will show up); something like:

 mkdir -p /mnt/Slowaris
or
 mkdir /home/kelly/rickety_old_Sun_OS

(You can see I don't much care for Solaris, either.)

Then mount the slave drive with a command like:

 mount /dev/hdb3 /mnt/Slowaris

The "hdb3" portion will depend on how your drive is addressed by the system, and by which partition you want to mount. You can probably use "cfdisk /dev/hdb" to see the partitioning schemes on the hdb drive (there are other methods as well).

Now you can access the files on the drive simply by copying/moving/listing/etc the files in /mnt/Slowaris.

This is only a temporary mounting, which will remain mounted until the next reboot (or manual unmount, or perhaps init level change, etc). If you want it to be mounted at each boot, you'll have to add a line in /etc/fstab.

Feel free to ask for clarifications, etc.

--
Kent West
http://kentwest.blogspot.com <http://kentwest.blogspot.com/>