Re: Introduction

Leonid Grinberg said...

> I started off with Debian. It was a great system, but it had some
> problems, especially on laptops. The two biggest problems I found were
> lack of ACPI (no hibernation or sleep) and lack of wireless support.
> After installing Ubuntu, both of these problems were fixed.
>
> Ubuntu also seems to be easier to use because it has more GUI
> frontends to programs. In general, I think that for people who either
> do not know how or do not want to deal with configuring (often
> non-standard) hardware, Ubuntu is a better choice. However, for
> sysadmins, especially on servers, Debian has always proven to me that
> it is *much* better.

This mirrors my experience. I would love to put Debian back on the
laptops, but it has proven to be so much work to do so in the past and,
while intellectually challenging to rise to the task, I'd rather be
doing more productive things with my time. So, for now, Kubuntu lives on
the laptops and desktops and Debian on servers.

--
Cheers,
Marc