Re: Introduction

On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 12:01:09PM -0800, tom arnall wrote:
> On Saturday 10 February 2007 07:54, Joe Hart wrote:
> I am thinking seriously of recommending Ubuntu as a starting point for new
> users. Comments on the advantages/disadvantages of this idea are encouraged.

I've never even seen Ubuntu.  However, I'm concerned about the trend to
think that a new user is sucessfully running Linux if he can magically
install and boot up a GUI, especially a distro based on an unstable
distro (sid).

What happens when something breaks (or they want to turn off the box
[see a recent question on debian-user]).  Especially if X breaks.

What about new users who have an old box?

Such new users are missing the CLI skills needed to fix their system.
If their X is broken and they know neither mutt nor mailx then they
can't even call for help.

We may be creating lots of new GUI users but then who is administering
their boxes?

Its an old beef of mine and please don't take it as a rant.  We need
better documentation so that a new user can understand the install
manual and meet the reader-prerequisites of debian-reference.

Doug.