Re: Introduction

On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 12:01:09PM -0800, tom arnall wrote:
> I booted from the Ubuntu CD the other day and was very impressed. It got my
> wireless card right off. Back 6 months ago when I did a Debian install from
> the minimal cd, I had to recompile the kernel etc to get my card to work.
> Does anyone know if this has changed?
>
> I am thinking seriously of recommending Ubuntu as a starting point for new
> users. Comments on the advantages/disadvantages of this idea are encouraged.

Its a good idea to try a Live CD first.

> What is involved for a user to switch from Ubuntu to Debian?

There is a big difference between running an Ubuntu live CD then
expecting everything to work when you install Debian. Some hand-holding
maybe in order lest they be put off Unix/Linux forever!

I am interested in the process of configuring a Debian system from the
configs of an 'Ubuntu live CD' or a 'Knoppix' or a 'Damn Small Linux'
business-card CD.

Anyone know of any docs?

--
Chris.