Re: Removing desktop environments

On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 01:11:26PM -0500, cga2000 wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 05:27:54AM EST, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > I wouldn't remove any changelog files because I think that is how
> > apt/dpkg (hence aptitude, syntaptic, etc) know the package version.
>
> Thanks for your recommendations.  I mentioned elsewhere I was once
> tempted by the `linux from scratch' approach.  Not sure I am dedicated
> enough to make it work, though.

Debian does an excellent job handling all this for us! There are times
though, where compiling your own software can be beneficial. If you are
using a low resource machine, for example, on a laptop where you are
stuck with the HD and memory; it wouldn't be cheap to upgrade, then
"weeding" out unnecessary libraries (librarys?) is a good thing.

Reading through the `linux from scratch' book can give quite a good
overview of what software is necessary etc.

> > Don't forget to check that your /etc/apt/sources.lst entries point to
> > etch and not testing, otherwise you may end up with a broken system once
> > etch goes stable.
>
> And thanks for this too .. Maybe there should be alerts mailed to the
> list periodically for stuff like this .. like all uppercase messages
> maybe .. Ah .. I guess it would become annoying after a while and folks
> would stop reading them anyway.

The delete key/button is never far away. :-) If it saves one newbie from
inadvertantly hosing his system, or even pointing out that there is a
"/etc/apt/sources.lst" then that may be better than the political .sigs
sometimes seen here. :)

Its easy too, in mutt:
# default signature
send-hook . "set signature='~/configs/.signature'"
# signature when replying to Debian user
send-hook debian-user "set signature='~/configs/.deb-usersig'"

--
Chris.
======