Re: Removing desktop environments

On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 05:27:54AM EST, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 08:24:46AM -0500, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> > As far as /usr/share/doc if you are _really_ short on disk space, you
> > could burn it to a CD, then remove the _contents_ of each directory (or at
> > least the large files that concern you).  Then upgrades will still put
> > the stuff there and you can burn a supplement CD periodically.
>
> I wouldn't remove any changelog files because I think that is how
> apt/dpkg (hence aptitude, syntaptic, etc) know the package version.

Thanks for your recommendations.  I mentioned elsewhere I was once
tempted by the `linux from scratch' approach.  Not sure I am dedicated
enough to make it work, though.

> --
> Chris.
> ======
> Don't forget to check that your /etc/apt/sources.lst entries point to
> etch and not testing, otherwise you may end up with a broken system once
> etch goes stable.

And thanks for this too .. Maybe there should be alerts mailed to the
list periodically for stuff like this .. like all uppercase messages
maybe .. Ah .. I guess it would become annoying after a while and folks
would stop reading them anyway.

Thanks,

cga