Re: Removing desktop environments

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 03:23:19PM EST, Marcus Blumhagen wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 09:07:32PM +0100, Marcus Blumhagen wrote:
> > This way you would really save time and could even keep your actual
> > software selection without backing up /etc.
>
> Oops, of course it has to be "... without backing up /usr."
>
> Anyway, mostly the other posters already wrote similar suggestions and
> I can only agree with them. Should have read the thread 1st, or am
> I really *that* slow on typing? ;)

gtypist?  :-)

Thanks to all.

I have removed a large number of packages -- the best tip was from
someone who suggested removing a kde, I think, library .. that pulled
out a huge number of dependent package .. none of which I need .. and
many of which I didn't even know I had them installed.

Now I have gotten rid of about 1G of stuff .. but I still think there's
more.

Is there any way I can have debian help me figure out if there is stuff
that should be removed such as libraries that nothing uses -- naturally
I did not remove a single library myself.

I ran "deborphan -z" but at a glance it looks like it does not add up to
more than 20-30Meg .. so I might as well leave well alone.

Thanks,

cga