Re: Attracting newbies

Daniel B. said...
> Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 10:09:30PM -0500, Michael Pobega wrote:
> > Pdf can have internal links as well as a table of contents that one can
> > click on.  On the other hand, one needs X to read it and a postscript
> > capable printer to print it (yes I know...).
>
> Please note another problem with PDF:  The page size and layout
> are fixed.

Not really a problem, more of a feature of the format; the idea being
that a PDF renders the same regardless of the display platform (at
least, in theory). In many situations, this is a very good thing.

> HTML adapts to the user's browser pane width (well, if the author
> doesn't break HTML's ability to do that).

Again, to be pedantic, it's CSS that controls the layout, hence the
author simply provides multiple CSS, which is what it's designed to do.

> The user can choose
> how much screen width to use for a browser, the browser can
> wrap regular text and tables to fit, and the user doesn't have
> to scroll horizontally to read the bulk of the page.

And the user can also provide their own CSS too, should they wish.

--
Cheers,
Marc