Re: where is the bash documentation in info format ?

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 07:06:04PM -0600, John C wrote:

> Kevin Mark wrote:
> >
> >On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 04:21:31PM -0600, John C wrote:
> ><snip>
> >>Many in the Free Software Movement consider Debian and Ubuntu to
> >>be not "free" enough because they contain "non-free" software.
> >>It's one of the prime reasons for the startup of gNewSense.
> ><snip>
> >Are you saying that there is FSF- defined "non-free" software in Debian?
> >Please identify this.
> >
> I'm not saying that at all, I'm saying that there are many Free
> Software proponents who consider the "non-free" designated
> software as exactly that - non-free.
This statement confuses me. Debian has more than one repository and they
delineate free from non-free. They never claim that 'non-free' repos are
anything but. And I assume that gNewSense has only one repository -
free. But the issue seems to be that Debian even has any non-free repos,
even if they state that these are not officially part of a stable
release. They are there to support the developers and the users who need
them. Also, when Debian began, Linux was hard to install and few
things were supported, now there are more things supported -- this is
the foundation upon which gNewSense and Ubuntu now draw. Debian has
tried to support the myriad of hardware that exists now, gNewSense is
not at a point where it has millions of folks supporting it on hardware
that may or may not need binary kernel bits or other fun things. Debian
needs to add a bit of pragmatism in the mix of its goal of 100% free
software. It has a goal to be useful to its users as part of its bargin.
gNewSense may have that intention but it can only grow at the pace that
the other folks solve the issue of support for those bits that need
less-than-free stuff. (aka catchup)
Cheers,
Kev

|   my keysever: subkeys.pgp.net |     my NPO: cfsg.org         |