Re: grub: not found or no block device

On 1/19/07, Bernd Kloss <B_Kloss@web.de> wrote:
Etch installed on a computer with scsii-hd and transferred to a similar computer with ide-hd.
Both: first partition primary/bootable and 1 extended partition with 1 logical drive: swap

device.map, menu.lst and fstab adapted: hda instead of sda

Booting with rescue-system, mounting /dev/hda1 on /mnt
chroot /mnt
grub-install /dev/hda(1)

hda(1) = hda or hda1

=>
/dev/hda(1) not found or no block device

I'm no expert, but I'd leave out the chroot step. I suspect the jailed system doesn't see the drive the same way the non-jailed system does.

But as mentioned, I'm no expert.

--
Kent West
http://kentwest.blogspot.com