Re: where is the bash documentation in info format ?

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 06:50:49PM -0500, Kevin Mark wrote:
> And the idea of gNewSense is rather strange: take 16000
> DFSG softwares, fork 1000 of them, add better desktop
> integration for these 1000 apps, add non-DFSG bits, call
> it Ubuntu then remove the non-ubuntu-free bits and call it
> gNewSense.  which is sort of like using Debian but with
> better desktop integration and less apps.

When I first heard of it I felt the same, but it seems the
outcome of some of the GRs have resulted in the gNewSense
people considering Debian to be less than idealistic. [1]
links to the two GRs. I personally think that the objections
to [2] are incorrect, since the social contract clearly
states _The packages in [ contrib and non-free ] are not
part of the Debian system_.

I think that gNewSense is a great idea, though. Debian is a
pragmatic operating system, it is designed to be /used/.
GNewSense is an idealistic OS, if it can't be used, then
that's a consequence of freeness issues. I think Mark
Pilgrim sums it's usefulness up nicely [3]: it's a reference
implementation of software freedom.

[1] <http://www.gnewsense.org/FAQ/FAQ#toc3>
[2] <http://www.debian.org/vote/2004/vote_002>
[3] <http://diveintomark.org/archives/2006/11/06/gnewsense>