Re: [OT/FLAME] Horrible GNOME File Picker (Was: Open (helper application chooser) for iceweasel/icedove is too simple)

On 1/10/07, Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote:
Wim De Smet wrote:
... gnome file chooser discussion snipped ...
> indeed very annoying) but I don't think it's open()ing every file in
> those directories. This would require an ordinate amount of processing
> power not to mention disk I/O which I'm just not seeing.

  it takes few minutes to open /usr/bin here (almost no load on
machine), next time (I assume cache helps a lot) it takes 10-20 seconds.

  system:
    debian unstable
    icedove 1.5.0.9.dfsg1-1
    pentium 2.4 GHz
    1GB RAM

  do you think I should file a bug? against what? where?

  Glad I've found out about ctrl-l and ability to just start typing
(thanks to all who responded) but the performance is incredibly bad
(compare to bash - there is no noticeable delay between me hitting tab
twice and bash asking Display all 3758 possibilities? and it's same for
other directories which are not as likely to be cached).

       erik

I get annoyed when I browse documentation in midnight commander; as
soon as I navigate to /usr/share/doc, mc takes few seconds before
settling down. Well, it IS a large dir, and my system is pretty weak
(AMD k6 475 mhz, 192 MB RAM).

Celejar