Open (helper application chooser) for iceweasel/icedove is too simple

Not sure if it's standard gtk/gnome file open dialog, but it's the one used to pick application when opening an attachement and downloading files (it's probably used in other places as well).

The dialog has two parts - left part has shortcut to user home dir, desktop and filesystem, right side has list of files/directories.

it is not possible to just write in the file (like it is common with other file open/save dialogs) which is VERY annoying, e.g. if I want to open a text file using gvim I have to figure out where gvim is and click all the way there, instead of just typing gvim (and assume it's in path).

is there any way to configure these? are these standard gnome file open dialogs?

  TIA,

	erik