Re: Naming multiple alsa sound cards (was Re: synthetic sound generator with api)

On 8/10/06, CJ van den Berg <cj@vdbonline.com> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 01:41:00AM -0400, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> If no one knows, does anyone know where I can find documentation of
> how to control this for Debian?
> I'd like my ALSA to be in order so I can recompile my kernel, and I
> can't find any clear explanation of it.  Everyone says the order the
> modules are loaded is random, but you can control it; how do I do
> this, if only one module is a soundcard, the other two are MIDI
> controllers?
> Thanks.
> -Chuckk

Why bother trying to control it at all? Have you tried simply referring to
the device my name instead of by number as I described in my original post?

I read your suggestion, and I did try looking in /proc/asound/cards,
which is an empty file.  And unfortunately qjackctl won't remember the
device name, it goes by number.
Are you saying controlling the order can't be done?  Because I've read
of people doing it, but their files are different from mine.  I'd
rather just have the knowledge than to work around it.  Such is life.
I recompiled my kernel anyway, and it seems to be assigning the proper
order now.