Re: Naming multiple alsa sound cards (was Re: synthetic sound generator with api)

On 8/9/06, Jacob S <stormspotter@6texans.net> wrote:

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 12:24:24 -0400
"Chuckk Hubbard" <badmuthahubbard@gmail.com> wrote:

> > and now the cards always seem to come up in that order.
> > But thanks for the tip!
>
> Is there any sort of standard for this?  I don't have
> /etc/modprobe.d/sound, and I can't find anywhere what files I need to
> edit to get this done.

Not to state the obvious here, but have you tried alsaconf?
My /etc/modprobe.d/sound was created by running that utility.

Thanks for the tip.  It did indeed finally create that file for me.
Oddly, at first the 2 MIDI devices disappeared after doing this.  And
now, after rebooting twice, ONLY the MIDI devices show up; my
/etc/modprobe.d/sound now reads:

alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
options snd-emu10k1 index=0

But the actual sound card is no longer being detected.  Definitely
doesn't seem like expected behavior to me.
Any ideas???

-Chuckk