Re: synthetic sound generator with api

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 08:40:01PM +0200, CJ van den Berg wrote:
On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 10:36:35AM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
No, I don't want to play back anything: I want to *generate* a beeping sound. The type depends upon the occasion.

I missed the original message, but how about the beep package?

andrew@basement:~$ apt-cache show beep

<snip>

I saw beep, after I programmed the speaker myself. But the speaker is universal: there is only one.

I want to be user dependent: I have a system with 2 xservers/videocards,soundcards,keybds,mice.

So when a little monitoring box on user A's screen sounds, it should do so to that user's soundcard.

There is already *sessiond* by Ludovic Pollet, that assigns (via fuse) /dev/dsp to /dev/dsp0 or /dev/dsp1 depending on $DISPLAY.

So that is fine for apps that write directly to /dev/dsp.

For the alsa behaved apps (like libao) you set alsa_card=1 or 0 and ao_example.c plays on either one soundcard or the other.

Thanks guys!