Re: Naming multiple alsa sound cards (was Re: synthetic sound generator with api)

If no one knows, does anyone know where I can find documentation of
how to control this for Debian?
I'd like my ALSA to be in order so I can recompile my kernel, and I
can't find any clear explanation of it.  Everyone says the order the
modules are loaded is random, but you can control it; how do I do
this, if only one module is a soundcard, the other two are MIDI
controllers?
Thanks.
-Chuckk

On 8/9/06, Chuckk Hubbard <badmuthahubbard@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not to state the obvious here, but have you tried alsaconf?
> My /etc/modprobe.d/sound was created by running that utility.

Thanks for the tip.  It did indeed finally create that file for me.
Oddly, at first the 2 MIDI devices disappeared after doing this.  And
now, after rebooting twice, ONLY the MIDI devices show up; my
/etc/modprobe.d/sound now reads:

alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
options snd-emu10k1 index=0

But the actual sound card is no longer being detected.  Definitely
doesn't seem like expected behavior to me.
Any ideas???

-Chuckk

--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."