Re: Naming multiple alsa sound cards (was Re: synthetic sound generator with api)

On 8/5/06, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
CJ van den Berg wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 05:20:38PM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> For the alsa behaved apps (like libao) you set alsa_card=1 or 0 and
>> ao_example.c plays on either one soundcard or the other.
>
> Just a small tip. On machines with multiple sound devices the alsa card
> numbers may not be predictable because the device number depends on which
> card was detected first. On my machine it seems to be pretty random. Alsa
> allows you to refer to sound devices by *name* though too, which works much
> more predictably. So for example in libao you would use the driver option
> "dev=hw:NAME" instead of "dev=hw:NUMBER". The names of the devices on your
> machine are listed (in square brackets) in /proc/asound/cards.

I have this in /etc/modprobe.d/sound:

alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
options snd-via82xx index=0
alias snd-card-1 snd_ca0106
options snd_ca0106 index=1

and now the cards always seem to come up in that order.
But thanks for the tip!

Is there any sort of standard for this?  I don't have
/etc/modprobe.d/sound, and I can't find anywhere what files I need to
edit to get this done.  I have one emu10k, and two USB MIDI
controllers, and the controllers always come up as hw:0 and hw:1, but
sometimes they aren't plugged in, so no matter what hw: I set jack to
look for, it changes depending on the MIDI devices.
I'm running debian etch, 2.6.16-2.  None of the documentation I can
find on this modprobe/modules/.conf stuff seems to refer to my system.

I don't want to waste anyone's time, but are there files or folders of
which I could post the contents so that anyone could tell me how to go
about making these edits?  I know there may be workarounds, but I
think it would be simpler to just find out how my system has this
stuff set up, so I can know.

Thanks.

-Chuckk

--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."