Re: synthetic sound generator with api

CJ van den Berg wrote:
On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 08:31:26AM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
I want to generate beeping sounds in a program.

I now use Nas, but it is a PITA because it either hangs with 2 soundcards installed or it fails w/o saying why.

Has anybody got another program that does this?

I'm not sure I understand what you want to do, but it sounds like you want
to playback digital audio samples.

If so, what you probably want is something like libao2 and libao-dev.

No, I don't want to play back anything: I want to *generate* a beeping sound. The type depends upon the occasion.

Right now I use Nas, which has good support from Jon Trulson. But that is meant really as a network sound server and not made for playing back to a particular sound card.

E.g. if it is 11:30 I want to produce 5 beeps for maritime chimes.
If the dialup line goes down I want to produce 9 beeps.

I would prefer to produce the beeps for a particular soundcard, for the user that is logged on to a monotor that uses that card.