Re: update messages

On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 04:59:40PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> Digby Tarvin wrote:
> > So what puzzles me is why it is no longer in 'non-free', and if
> > it was removed because of some objection to the licensing terms,
> > surely there should be something documenting this?
>
> It may have been removed simply because no one was willing to maintain it
> any more.  That often happens when a non-free package ceases to provide any
> functionality not available in a Free package.
>
> --
> John Hasler

Its not so much the removal of a package that disturbs me - it is
the apparent lack of warning or explanation.

It makes me rather reluctant to upgrade if some package that I have
come to rely on might unexpectedly disappear - perhaps unnoticed
until it is urgently needed...

Another package I just noticed is missing since my dist-upgrade is
xlockmore. I searched packages.qa.debian.org and all I found was
what looks like an automated logging of the fact that the package
is gone - no reason or dialogue that I can see:
	http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xlockmore/news/20061119T233918Z.html

Is there some mailing list I should be on to receive warnings about
packages being considered for removal (assuming the disappearance
was intentional)?

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com