Re: update messages

On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 02:23:27AM +0000, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 05:28:55PM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > > It seems I am not out of the woods yet. I just tried executing
> > > 	apt-get install libx11-dev
> > > which is the package I needed to install in the first place when I
> > > got distracted onto upgrading my system..
> >
> > was this before or after a successful upgrade?
>
> After a successful upgrade, but I haven't yet attempted
> a 'dist-upgrade'..

you might do that and see what it says.

> > > Amoungst the actions it threatened to do was:
> > >     The following packages will be REMOVED
> > >      gnome gnome-core gnome-desktop-environment gnome-doc-utils gnome-office
> > >      lbxproxy libapache2-mod-php4 libapache2-mod-python proxymngr python-libxml2
> > >      python-newt python2.3-imaging-tk python2.3-tk skencil sketch totem
> > >      x-window-system xdm xearth xfs xfwp xlibs xlibs-data xlockmore-gl xprint
> > >      xserver-common xv xvfb yelp
> > >

> > you're losing all of X here. that's not good. are you running xorg or
> > xfree86 still? there was a transition, to xorg, did you miss it? maybe
> > the transition packages have already been pulled? you may have to go
> > in and mark xorg for installation.
>
> aptitude shows:
> 	xserver-xorg 6.9.0.dfsg.1-6
> as being installed, and isn't one of the packages listed for removal
> (but is listed for upgrade)

xorg is trying to go to 7.x, this is a big move, IIRC.

> There is quite a list of new packages to be installed - perhaps too
> much to post to the list. Here is a sample:
>
>   The following NEW packages will be installed
>     cdrdao epiphany-browser evolution-common evolution-data-server-common
>     gnome-cards-data gnome-media-common gtk2-engines industrial-cursor-theme
>     libavcodec0d libcamel1.2-8 libdbus-1-3 libdrm2 libecal1.2-6
>     libedata-cal1.2-5 libedataserver1.2-7 libegroupwise1.2-10
>     libexchange-storage1.2-1 libfontenc1 libglu1-mesa libgnome-media0
>     libgnome-window-settings1 libgnutls13 libgtop2-7 libgtop2-common
>     libnautilus-burn3 libnm-glib0 libpisock9 libpostproc0d libtasn1-3
>     libtotem-plparser1 libx11-data libx11-dev libxau-dev libxdmcp-dev
>     libxext-dev libxfont1 python-central python-gnome2-desktop python-pyorbit
>     python-support type-handling wodim x11proto-core-dev x11proto-input-dev
>     x11proto-kb-dev x11proto-xext-dev xbitmaps xfonts-encodings xfonts-utils
>     xkb-data xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-evdev
>     xserver-xorg-input-kbd xserver-xorg-input-mouse xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
>     xserver-xorg-input-wacom xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-video-apm
> 	<the rest are all xserver-xorg-...>

its trying to install xorg, but to that it has to remove the older
x. That means's its probably going to try to pull all its dependent
packages out with it.

I suggest you go back into aptitude insteractive mode and try to
manually sort this out. -OR- you could bite the bullet and let it do
what it wants, and then reinstall all of gnome again when its done.

> > > I was again disturbed by the threatened removal of some applications I
> > > know I regularly use (such as xearth, xv and totem), so I did some
> > > digging starting with 'xearth', and it seems that package has been
> > > removed from testing (but not stable or unstable) and the version I
> > > had installed (1.1-10.1) requires xbase < 3.3.2.3a-2 which presumably
> > > conflicts with other packages which are required for for the libx11-dev
> > > package..
> > >
> > > The page which I found indicating the removal of xearth from testing is
> > > 	http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xearth.html
> > > but it doesn't give any explanation of why, and I am not sure where to
> > > look next.
> > >
> > > Should I be fetching the unstable version? Or would it be better to
> > > just install from source and forget the debian packages for this
> > > application?
> >
> > well, its probably got bugs that prevent it from being included in
> > etch. With etch frozen, I imagine you're sol for using it when etch
> > goes stable, so you'll either have to backport it from sid or install
> > from source. Either way, you'll probably have to let that one go.
>
> I suppose my own build from source with static libraries in /usr/local/bin
> should prevent future problems with it for some time.
>
> > > Not sure about the other packages - totem for example appears to
> > > have a newer version available, so I don't understand why the threat
> > > to delete it.
> >
> > I believe totem depends on gnome which you are losing altogether
> > above.
>
> I don't really understand what is happening with gnome. I do seem
> to be getting some gnome related packages added and upgraded...

I think its because of the xorg transition you're seeing this
happen. go into interactive aptitude and move up the chain  to some
gnome metapackage and try to '+' it.

> > > And xv I havn't found at all in the packages database :-/
> >
> > I can only vaguely recall xv. what is it?
>
> John Bradley's image viewer program. Probably frowned upon
> by Debian for being non-free, but I registered my copy years
> ago so I feel entitled to keep using it ;)

oh yeah. not in deb.