Re: update messages

On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 03:41:31PM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 07:50:34PM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> > > John Bradley's image viewer program. Probably frowned upon
> > > by Debian for being non-free, but I registered my copy years
> > > ago so I feel entitled to keep using it ;)
> >
> > oh yeah. not in deb.
>
> Then why is Debian trying to remove it if ti isn't a package?
> Could it be trying to remove another thing called xv, which I think is
> some X thing relating to video?
>
> -- hendrik

I think I may have confused matters by not knowing exactly what
the 'standard' Debian terminology is.

To Clarify:

1. John Bradley's xv program was in the debian archive for Etch
	when I installed it back in April:
	/var/cache/apt/archives/xv_3.10a-1duo+etch1_i386.deb

2. It is not there now.

3. When I referred to it not being in the 'package database' I meant
	that I didn't find any mention of its existance (or removal) in
		http://packages.qa.debian.org/common/index.html
	which is where I had found messages referring to the removal
	of xearth.

So what puzzles me is why it is no longer in 'non-free', and if
it was removed because of some objection to the licensing terms,
surely there should be something documenting this??

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com