Missing packages (was Re: update messages)

Further to the loss of 'xv', 'xearth' and 'xlock' after my recent
'apt-get dist-upgrade' of my etch system....

I tried adding
deb http://ftp.debian-unofficial.org/debian etch main contrib non-free restricted

To my '/etc/apt/sources.list', and this does give me an 'xv' package to
try to install. However when I attempt to do so I get:
    fujitsu:/etc/apt# apt-get install xv
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    or been moved out of Incoming.

    that package should be filed.

    The following packages have unmet dependencies.
      xv: Depends: libx11-6 but it is not going to be installed
    E: Broken packages

Which looks reasonable enough if there is an unsatisfied dependency,
but
    fujitsu:/etc/apt# apt-get install libx11-6
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    libx11-6 is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 14 not upgraded.

Which leaves me thinking that apt-get hasn't really provided a
sufficient explanation of why the installation couldn't be
completed?

Could it be that the message is just misleading and it really meant
that libx11-6 is an incompatable version rather than simply not
installed??

If it is a library version problem, then I assume the best
solution is to find and install a debian source package for
this application?

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com