Re: xserver-xorg: recent upgrade blowed out my X server

For the savage kernel module you need

CONFIG_DRM_SAVAGE=m

when you compile your kernel. (In menuconfig it is Device Drivers >
Character Devices > Direct Rendering Manager > Savage Video Cards.)

The second thing that is necessary is the savage module from xorg:

/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/savage_drv.so

This is included in the package xserver-xorg-video-savage.

I am not sure why your xorg.config with the "s3" driver does not work
anymore. I think the old s3 driver has now been split into "s3",
"savage" and "s3virge". The new "s3" driver seems to be for legacy cards
only; all newer cards are supported by "savage".

mhhh... I don't have a  "Savage Video Cards" section,  I am compiling from 2.6.8 sources, should I use newer ones?.. but still asking myself why it worked..
going crazy with this!

--
Regards,
          Florian