Re: Trouble browsing secure web sites (scotiaonline.com)

On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 11:15:43PM -0800, Alan Ianson wrote:
> On Sun November 12 2006 21:48, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 04:53:52PM -0800, Alan Ianson wrote:
> > > Hello List,
> > >
> > > I am having trouble browsing my banks web site to do online banking. I
> > > can log into the site but web pages don't seem to load up in the browser.
> > > This is only the case when running testing or unstable, I can navigate
> > > the site just fine with sarge.
> > >
> > > This has been the case since shortly after the release of sarge last
> > > year, I could never use the site with testing or unstable. It's been my
> > > hope that it would clear up before the release of etch as stable, but now
> > > I wonder if it will since the scheduled release of etch is only a month
> > > or so away.
> > >
> > >From my experience, etch is not ready for release.  Of three machines
> >
> > with etch installed in my house, two are unusable.  On one I dual-boot
> > with sarge to get work done; on the other I've had to dual-boot Ubuntu.
>
> I find etch (and even sid) very usable at the moment. OOo 2.0.4 seems to be
> working well reading/saving to/from different formats.
>
> I'm using sid at the moment and the sluggishness of kmail moving to the next
> unread message seems to be gone.
>
> Of course I guess it depends on what apps your using and how well they are
> working.. :)

One system crashes during every other boot, even if I boot into
maintenance mode.  And if I do a normal boot, it gives me the black
screen of death after X starts.  I suspect severe file-system damage
and plan to reinstall.

The other (an AMD64) crashes shortly after X starts.  Often within a
minute.  If I avoid mouse movement and just use text consoles within X I
can get it to survive a few minutes; once even for an hour.  If I
ctl-alt-F1 immediately after X starts, I can use that text console
indefinitely.  This one looks like an X server problem.  It doesn't
matter which X server I use, framebuffer or nvidia proprietary.  It
doesn't matter which window manager I use.  I doesn't matter whether I
use 32- or 64-bit etch.  It does make a difference to use Ubuntu
instead, leaving me to suspect this is a bug Ubuntu has fixed, but that
it has not yet propagated upstream.

The third system just runs reliably.

In my judgement, 1 out of 3 isn't a high enough success rate for
release.  But I understand others' experience is different.

> I have konqueror trying to load my banks website in the background. It took
> quite a while but it just loaded up the intro page. Looks like it wants to
> work but just can't quite do it.
>
> I can't seem to write to a usb stick either, the system thinks it's full when
> there is around 400 MB free there.
>
> I'd sure like to see icon zooming return to the current kde also but that's
> about all that's busting my chops. :)
>
> > I'd like to go back to Debian testing on those machines, but I can't
> > until critical problems are fixed.
>
> What kind of problems are you having there? Maybe someone on the list (or
> groups as the case may be) can help.

Both problems ave been discussed elsewhere.  The second one is bug
#379480.