Re: Trouble browsing secure web sites (scotiaonline.com)

On Mon November 13 2006 06:10, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:

> The other (an AMD64) crashes shortly after X starts.  Often within a
> minute.  If I avoid mouse movement and just use text consoles within X I
> can get it to survive a few minutes; once even for an hour.  If I
> ctl-alt-F1 immediately after X starts, I can use that text console
> indefinitely.  This one looks like an X server problem.  It doesn't
> matter which X server I use, framebuffer or nvidia proprietary.  It
> doesn't matter which window manager I use.  I doesn't matter whether I
> use 32- or 64-bit etch.  It does make a difference to use Ubuntu
> instead, leaving me to suspect this is a bug Ubuntu has fixed, but that
> it has not yet propagated upstream.

I also run an amd64 here, a plain jane K8N with an nvidia FX 5700LE (also a
plain jane) and it works well here. I have never used the frame buffer with
x. It's been a while since I read it but I don't think it works. Maybe
disabling the frame buffer with x (you can still us FB on the console) would
help.