Re: how many CDs for v3.1 r3?

anonymous wrote:
> I was planning to download and test install Debian for the first time.
> However, when I browsed the website below:
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1_r3/i386/iso-cd/
>
> for a download, I found out that I would need to download 18 CDs: 15
> regular and 3 for the update.
>

>From the FAQ at: http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#which-cd
> Furthermore, in most cases it is not necessary to download all of the
> images for your architecture. The packages are sorted by popularity:
> The first CD/DVD contains the installation system and the most popular
> packages. The second one contains slightly less popular ones, the
> third one even less popular ones, etc. You will probably only need the
> first DVD (or the first two CDs) unless you have very special
> requirements. (And in case you happen to need a package later on which
> is not on one of the CDs/DVDs you downloaded, you can always install
> that package directly from the Internet.)

> I would like to know whether all these CDs have binary files or are
> these also include CDs with sources and documentation. If so, which ones of them?

I believe that about the last half are source.

> How much would it need for a complete install on a P-IV 2.5GHz with 256 MB RAM?
> And how much for the disk space?

A "complete" install of all packages is impossible. Since Debian gives
you choice, you have multiple packages that accomplish the same task,
such as an email back-end. These email back-ends would conflict with
each other, so you can only install one of them at a time. Etc.

However, as mentioned in the FAQ, a fairly complete system can be had by
using only the first, and maybe the second CD. Depending on your
partitioning scheme and what you install, you can probably have a
full-blown workstation on a GB or less. Or it might take 20 GB; just
depends on what you want. Shoot for 10GB as a starter, if you have it;
if not, use your 1GB and be choosy.

> I tried to look up the answers in the online manual, but was unable to
> find them. Any help would be appreciated.
It's appreciated that you're willing to do your own research; that's good.

Sorry there doesn't seem to be a clear answer to this question.

--
Kent West
Westing Peacefully <http://kentwest.blogspot.com>