Re: mysql upgrade broke server

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 17:54:10 -0500, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 11:20:50PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 16:39:23 -0500, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> > > I just tried to upgrade mysql-server which replaces 4.1 with 5.0. The
> > > upgrade aborts because there are supposedly MyISAM files and so I should
> > > reinstall 4.1 to fix them then try the upgrade again.
> > >
> > > The problem is that mysql-server-4.1 *depends* *on* mysql-server-5.0
> > > (which doesn't make any sense) so apt-get won't let me reinstall 4.1.
> >
> > It does make sense for the newest version of mysql-server-4.1 to depend
> > on mysql-server-5.0, because the 4.1 package has become an empty meta
> > package whose only purpose it is to depend on the 5.0 package to trigger
> > the upgrade. Debian always uses this method if a newer version of some
> > software has a different package name (e.g. thunderbird -> icedove).
>
> OK. But apt-get should NOT remove the current package until it
> determines that it is able to install the new package.

It cannot always know in advance that things will go wrong, for example
if the error occurs in the post-installation script of the new package.
If the problem becomes apparent in an earlier stage then apt will leave
the working version intact. Are you sure that the old version is gone?
Check the output of "dpkg -l mysql-server-4.1". Don't get me wrong: It
may very well be justified to file a bug against this behavior, but I
don't know enough about the mysql packages to judge this.

> > If you still need a "real" 4.1 package to fix some things before the
> > upgrade, then you will have to find an older version, either in your
> > /var/cache/apt/archives/ directory or from snapshot.debian.net. Once you
> > have found the right .deb file you can install it with "dpkg --install".
>
> So I added to /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
> deb http://snapshot.debian.net/archive pool mysql-dfsg-4.1
>
> and updated. Now what?
>
> 'apt-get install mysql-dfsg-4.1' says it can't find the package.

apt-get install mysql-server-4.1=<some-version-identifier>

"apt-cache policy mysql-server-4.1" will tell you which versions are
available. Replace <some-version-identifier> with the number of the
version that you want. I would try the newest one that is still a full
package. "apt-cache show mysql-server-4.1" will print the descriptions
of all versions so you can check for the last one that does not have
"This is an empty transitional package and can safely be removed" in the
package description.

--
Regards,
          Florian