CDROM music read

Hi,

I own a Dell D820 with a SATA disk (but ATA CDROM handled through the
"sr_mod" and "cdrom" modules) and a HDA audio card:

  ata2: PATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0x170 ctl 0x376 bmdma 0xBFA8 irq 15
  scsi1 : ata_piix
  ata2.00: ATAPI, max UDMA/33
  ata2.00: configured for UDMA/33
    Vendor: SONY      Model: DVD+-RW DW-Q58A   Rev: UDS1
    Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 05

  sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
  Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
  sr 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0

  00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
  Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)

I can mount CDROMs and burn them.  However, when I try to listen to a
music CD (say with xmms or amarok), I get:

- no sound if I try to play it directly;
- some sound but that comes and go if I play it through the PCM card.

With amarok, I have the following message in the console:

  sr: Current: sense key: Medium Error
  Additional sense: L-EC uncorrectable error

or

  sr: Current: sense key: Medium Error
  Additional sense: No seek complete

If I try to extract the sound (say with grip), the system even crashes!

I first thought it was a kernel thing -- I am now running 2.6.18.2 --
but older kernel display the same problems.  It used to work though!

Any help in what direction to look (e.g. CD driver or sound driver?)
will be appreciated.

Thanks,
ChriS

---
P.S. Cc me your answer as I am not subscribed to the list.