Re: mysql upgrade broke server

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 11:20:50PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 16:39:23 -0500, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> > I just tried to upgrade mysql-server which replaces 4.1 with 5.0. The
> > upgrade aborts because there are supposedly MyISAM files and so I should
> > reinstall 4.1 to fix them then try the upgrade again.
> >
> > The problem is that mysql-server-4.1 *depends* *on* mysql-server-5.0
> > (which doesn't make any sense) so apt-get won't let me reinstall 4.1.
>
> It does make sense for the newest version of mysql-server-4.1 to depend
> on mysql-server-5.0, because the 4.1 package has become an empty meta
> package whose only purpose it is to depend on the 5.0 package to trigger
> the upgrade. Debian always uses this method if a newer version of some
> software has a different package name (e.g. thunderbird -> icedove).

OK. But apt-get should NOT remove the current package until it
determines that it is able to install the new package.

> If you still need a "real" 4.1 package to fix some things before the
> upgrade, then you will have to find an older version, either in your
> /var/cache/apt/archives/ directory or from snapshot.debian.net. Once you
> have found the right .deb file you can install it with "dpkg --install".

So I added to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://snapshot.debian.net/archive pool mysql-dfsg-4.1

and updated. Now what?

'apt-get install mysql-dfsg-4.1' says it can't find the package.

--
"Must the citizen ever for a moment, or in the least degree, resign his
 conscience to the legislator?  Why has every man a conscience, then?  I