Re: mysql upgrade broke server

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 16:39:23 -0500, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> I just tried to upgrade mysql-server which replaces 4.1 with 5.0. The
> upgrade aborts because there are supposedly MyISAM files and so I should
> reinstall 4.1 to fix them then try the upgrade again.
>
> The problem is that mysql-server-4.1 *depends* *on* mysql-server-5.0
> (which doesn't make any sense) so apt-get won't let me reinstall 4.1.

It does make sense for the newest version of mysql-server-4.1 to depend
on mysql-server-5.0, because the 4.1 package has become an empty meta
package whose only purpose it is to depend on the 5.0 package to trigger
the upgrade. Debian always uses this method if a newer version of some
software has a different package name (e.g. thunderbird -> icedove).

If you still need a "real" 4.1 package to fix some things before the
upgrade, then you will have to find an older version, either in your
/var/cache/apt/archives/ directory or from snapshot.debian.net. Once you
have found the right .deb file you can install it with "dpkg --install".

--
Regards,
          Florian