Re: Recent spam increase

David Hart wrote:
> It proves the point that T.J. Duchene made to which you gave those
> examples in reply.  Here's what was said (and what you snipped from your
> reply to me):

    Can we say... "out of context"?

>> T.J. Duchene wrote:
>>
>>> Don't expect Outlook, Thunderbird, Mutt, Pine, or even Evolution to
>>> do
>>> anything more than simple blob sorts or spam checking.

> There's no mention of "full-blown MTA".

    Really?  Did you read earlier in his message?  Let's review.

>>> Not to sound off too much here when I haven't been part of the
>>> conversation, but MUA's aren't really designed to stop spam or perform
>>> message sorting.

   "MUAs aren't really designed..." which leaves what exactly?

>>> I can say that with some confidence since I spend a reasonable
>>> percentage of my time programming mail servers for ISPs.

    Hmmm, direct mention of mail servers, AKA, MTAs.

>>> ladies and gentlemen, the most practical mail filtering or sorting is
>>> almost always done server side before your MUA even gets the mail.

    Another reference to MTAs this time as "server side".

>>> My humble advice to those who care...learn to use SpamAssassin (or some
>>> other milter), procmail, ClamAV or even MailScanner (for the opensource
>>> server admin crowd).

    His humble advice which includes a direct mention of a milter (which is
commonly used as a hook off the MTA), procmail (which is useless without an
MTA) and MailScanner... "for the opensource *SERVER* admin crowd", emphasis
mine.

    Were the three letters Emm Tee Aye mentioned in his post.  Nope.  You're
accurate on that.  But in a Micheal Moore-ish twisting of facts you're
ignoring that the overall context of the message is heavily slanted to MTAs.