Re: rhythmbox missing files

Sven Arvidsson on 28/10/06 16:57, wrote:
On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 16:17 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:
Exactly the problem - they're all in Unknown. I don't get any errors from gst-launch-0.10, and it plays fine, but the second command to read the tags doesn't. It just hangs there without any errors.

Can other, non-gstreamer based players, display the tags?

How do you prune a song down to 500K? I've not done that before.

Try head --bytes=500k fullsong.mp3 > shortsong.mp3

I believe id3 tags normally are in the beginning of the file, but if
there are other kinds of tags, they might be in the end, so be sure to
save a copy of the full file if you edit the tags.

And by the way, what's a good piece of software for changing the tags?

You could try exfalso, or easytag.

Difficult to say. xmms displays the title and shows all the others as empty, but the title just happens to be the same as the file name with '.mp3' stripped off.

That might just be xmms trying to be nice and forgiving.

I can't remember what on earth I was doing when I ripped this - but it was about 8 years ago, but there were tags then too.

I wrote some tags to the files from the filename with exfalso, and rhythmbox is happy.

I guess the tags were just plain missing.

Thanks for the help.

Adam