Re: 2.6.16-2-686 not booting: Waiting for root filesystem

Kent West schrieb am Samstag, 16. September 2006 01:23:
> What filesystem was used? ext2,3, reiser, etc

ext3.

> What are the partitions on the drive?

Before Linux installation:

1 NTFS
2 NTFS
3 NTFS

After:

1 NTFS
2 ext3
3 swap
4 NTFS

(The numbers don't correspond to the partition numbers in /dev/hda*.)

> Is the shell it drops into a regular VT bash shell, or something else?

What do you mean with "something else"? I think it's a regular bash.

> Once there, is the file system properly mounted as you'd expect?

I'm almost sure that the root filesystem isn't mounted.

> I assume he has a Pentium-style processor, and not an AMD, etc.

Intel Pentium M processor 1,60 Ghz.

> You imply he's using grub as the boot loader; it might help to see his
> menu.lst file.

It's the standard one from the sarge installation, extended by the
automatically added entry for 2.6.16-2-686 which is simlar to the 2.4 entry
from sarge (with version numbers replaced, of course). My friend read it to
me some hours ago when I was checking for the initrd line and it looks ok,
I think.

Another person replied directly to my e-mail address that we should retry
acpi=off in the boot config, which we'll do tomorrow.

Thanks!
Peter