Re: laser printer recommendation for personal use?

"B.Hoffmann" <dark.project@virgin.net> writes:
> Talking about b/w laser printer. As it's for personal use the highest
> page number per minute is not essential, and 4MB memory would probably
> be overkill.
> Important to me is 1.) usb connectivity these days and/or 2.) ethernet
> to connect to my router (D-link DI-604) for better accessibility from
> all machines over the network.
> Ethernet connectivity would be nice and I could forgo usb then. (No wifi
> in this house for at least another two years.)

For compatibility and overall economy, the larger HP LaserJets are difficult
to beat.  For example, the 4100N came with Postscript Level 2 and
JetDirect ethernet interface standard.  The combination of Postscript
and JetDirect eliminates all concern regarding compatibility.

The high-capacity toner cartridge ("X" suffix) gives in excess of 10,000
pages per $120 cartridge, printing a thousand sheets after the "toner
low" message is displayed, and several hundred more sheet after the
"toner out" message is displayed.  The extra cost of the machinery is
amortized quickly by the savings in toner cartridges, even with genuine
HP cartridges.

RLH