Re: 2.6.16-2-686 not booting: Waiting for root filesystem

Peter Thomassen wrote:
Hello,

I helped a friend of mine with installing Debian by phone, that's why my
diagnostic possibilities are shortened.

After downloading the stable netinst CD, we installed sarge (using Kernel
2.4.27 or so). Then, we modified sources.list to use testing in the future
and did an apt-get dist-upgrade. Afterwards, we installed
linux-image-2.6.16-2-686 to make his touchpad run. When booting to 2.6.16,
the following message appears before dropping into a shell after some
minutes: "Begin: Waiting for root filesystem".
What filesystem was used? ext2,3, reiser, etc

What are the partitions on the drive?

Is the shell it drops into a regular VT bash shell, or something else? Once there, is the file system properly mounted as you'd expect?

I assume he has a Pentium-style processor, and not an AMD, etc.

You imply he's using grub as the boot loader; it might help to see his menu.lst file.

--
Kent