Re: Email programs that work.

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 16:00:54 -0600
Rob Sims <deb-lists-z@robsims.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 10:13:39PM +0300, Micha Feigin wrote:
> > But I have messages separated into about a dozen folders (I know of people
> > who use more). I want to know which one has new mail, I want to read the
> > mail in the important folders before mailing lists, usually I want to know
> > if I have important mail now and clean up mailing lists at the end of the
> > day, etc. All these work much better with a folders pane.
>
> In mutt, 'y' gives me a list of folders and a message count per folder.

Last time I worked with mutt I didn't see this

> The list is defined by the "mailboxes" parameter.  When I hit 'c' I am
> prompted with a default that is the first folder in the "mailboxes" list
> with new mail.  This lets me address the "important" folders first.

This can be also very annoying since if some mail came into a previous mailbox
(which happens quite a bit with high volume mailing lists and fetchmail running
even every half an hour, although I usually use 10 minutes), this throws you
off you track. Also you have no idea where you are in the folder tree which can
be rather disorienting.

> This even works across multiple IMAP accounts.  In addition to
> mailboxes, I have the following set to enable this behavior:
>
> set spoolfile="imaps://server1.com/inbox"
> set folder="imaps://server1.com/INBOX."
> # imap settings
> set imap_user="user1"
> set timeout=15
> set mail_check=60
> mailboxes ! imaps://user2@server2.com/inbox =Debian =Misc
> alternates user1@server1.com user2@server2.com
> # Default on sid, not sarge
> macro index,pager y "<change-folder>?<toggle-mailboxes>" "show incoming
> mailboxes list"
>
> I usually just hit 'c' and enter, and I'm in the 'right' folder much
> more quickly than choosing it from a folder list.  If I do want the
> folder list, it is only a keypress away.

and I hit N with most gui muas to go to the next unread message which is
usually what you want (won't jump to first folder if it got mail in the mean
time but keeps you more organized and thorough)