Re: Highlighting and annotating PDFs?

also sprach CJ van den Berg <cj@vdbonline.com> [2006.08.14.1250 +0100]:
> IE6 should work fine under wine. You might want to try out WineTools [1] if
> you need help getting a basic wine setup running. Of course, as always with
> wine, YMMV.

Mh, Acrobat+wine on Linux I could deal with. Knowing of IE6 code on
my disk might give me nightmares and psychosis. :_)

But thanks for this hint.

also sprach Jabka Atu <mashrom.head@gmail.com> [2006.08.14.1327 +0100]:
> you could use ie4linux that will allow you to run ie5.5 .

and this one.

also sprach Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> [2006.08.14.1330 +0100]:
> >   - most of the options, including the highlighting are greyed out.
> >     I have no idea how to enable them. The documentation talks about
> >     PDF 1.5, but I can only create PDF 1.4 (ps2pdf14). Not sure if
> >     that's the cause.
>
> You mark the text and then chose style->background->color or
> style->foreground->color. The rest of the styles are also
> available when text is marked, but it seems that they only do
> anything if you apply them to note text, not to the pdf text.

Yeah, I noticed that while writing and really thought I had
corrected the post accordingly.

I guess what I wanted was the highlight tool, which would allow me
to just select text to highlight, not select text and then apply
a highlight.

also sprach George Borisov <george@dxsolutions.co.uk> [2006.08.14.1338 +0100]:
> Just tried to print some text from Firefox to PS and then use ps2pdf.
>
> The resulting file is _not_ searchable (xpdf and evince,) and at
> 28K is more than twice the size of the same text being printed
> through Acrobat (12K)

This is really Firefox's fault (who would have thought???)

Run 'strings' on the PS it generates and you'll see that it prints
images rather than text. I am not surprised, Firefox comes to us
from Windows. They don't know how to deal with text over there.

`. `'`

"a man who does not realise
 that he is half an animal
 is only half a man."