Making Firefox use certain fonts for printing (was: Re: Highlighting and annotating PDFs?)

Sorry for jumping latter in this discussion, but this is one of the
topics that interest me the most (preparing documents, including for
archival).

On Aug 14 2006, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach George Borisov <george@dxsolutions.co.uk> [2006.08.14.1338 +0100]:
> > The resulting file is _not_ searchable (xpdf and evince,) and at 28K
> > is more than twice the size of the same text being printed through
> > Acrobat (12K)
>
> This is really Firefox's fault (who would have thought???)

I usually generate Postscript with Firefox and, then, for the sake of
portability, I convert them to PDFs with ps2pdf1{2,3,4}.

But one thing has changed from Firefox 1.0.x to Firefox 1.5.x under
Debian is that Firefox 1.0.x used to use the Base14 fonts (Times,
Helvetica and Courier, among others, with their variations), while
Firefox 1.5.x creates Postscripts that use the exact font that I use
while viewing the page (which happen to be some variant of
ttf-bitstream-vera).

So, in light of this, would anybody know how to tell Firefox to
explicitly use some given fonts in what it prints?

This way, I could generate PDF files that don't have some fonts,
resulting in smaller files (yes, I know that this is not
recommended---even Adobe recommends embedding the fonts, or, at least, a
subset of them, into the document).

Thanks for any hint, Rogério Brito.

P.S.: Other programs that still use the older engine of Mozilla (like
nvu) generate Postscript files that use the Base14 fonts, despite what I
have told it to use for displaying the page.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/